Why is it when I long to slow down, the rest of the world seems to speed up? Do I really want to jump on this merry-go-round that spins me until I feel sick? Faster and faster until I have to get off….
As a young adult, I used to think I had to be where the action was. The real party didn’t even start until late….and I had to stay up to enjoy it. Life was meant to stay busy. Do things. Stay up. Stay out. Stay moving. Life, with all of its ups and downs, has certainly changed that perspective.
There is so much more to see and experience when I slow down to savor the moments. Slowing is not boring, nor is it always easy, but it sure does make life more enjoyable.
- Shadows of sunlight in the early evening
- Summer sunsets
- Chocolate ice cream
- Laughter with my husband
- Freshly wiped down counters
- The smell of lavender
- Cats purring
- Giving the dog belly rubs
- A new phone case
- Checking things off my to do list
- Sipping tea
- Emailing family
- Bare feet
- Purple nail polish
- Darkness at 9 pm (which means Fall is on the way!)
- Grown children that hug and say I love you
- Help with dinner
- Folded blankets
- The warm glow of salt lamps
- The smell of freshly cut grass