One of my friends on Facebook, posted something interesting yesterday. I’m sure she had seen it somewhere and thought she’d repost. The gist of it was, if you could go back and tell your “younger self” something, what piece of wisdom that you’ve gleaned from your experiences would you
Hmmmmmm……….. I thought I’d give this a try.
Dear Younger Self,
Younger Self, I have so many things to tell you. You probably won’t listen, because you think you know everything and have it all figured out. Um……your Older (and hopefully wiser) Self has to tell you that you do NOT have any real idea of what you are doing. OS is going to give you some advice. Keep your mouth shut and just read it!
1. You do not know all the answers and that is okay. Don’t put so much pressure on yourself to always know what to do. Most people are in the same boat, just trying to figure out life, one day at a time.
2. Do your best and let the rest go. Striving for perfection can cause stress related illness. It’s not worth it. Most of your real learning will come from living through your mistakes, anyway. If you get knocked down, stand back up.
3. Be kind to yourself. You have to live in your own skin, why not be comfortable with it?
4. Be a friend, enjoy people. Make memories.
5. Be thankful for what you have. Open your eyes to even the smallest miracles.
6. Laugh a lot. Laugh out loud. Laugh until you can’t breathe. Even snort if you have too!
7. Accept that there is always happiness mixed in with sadness. Life doesn’t have to be perfect to be good.
8. Love. The greatest of these…..
9. Find a mate that you like hanging out with. Make him your best friend.
10. Spend time with God, get to know Him……without Him there is nothing else.
11. The girls in the magazines are airbrushed.
12. Read a lot. Never stop learning.
13. Children will change your life, forever.
14. Don’t go through life in a rush, you have to slow down to really enjoy it.
15. Do what you love, and the rest will follow.
16. Pray daily.
17. Play music often. It speaks to the soul.
18. Help others that can’t help you back.
19. Listen. You learn more by listening, and no one wants to hear you talk all the time.
20. Eat ice cream without guilt. Don’t ask questions…just do it.
Love, Your Older Self
- 28 Life Lessons Learned in 28 Years (caseyjoloos.com)
- Who Knows Best? (everydayspiritualwisdom.com)
- Learning to Laugh at Yourself (justlittlemusings.wordpress.com)
- Laughter (artbykellie.blogspot.com)
- Trust and Honesty (socyberty.com)