I saw this quote today……
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life.” — Mary Oliver
It made me think.
I want to live my life as a child of the King. Have a personal relationship with the One who knows all things. Just give me, Jesus…..
I want to live a life full of love, and laughter, and grace, family time, and strong friendships. I want memories that make me smile, and tears that cleanse. I want sunrises that amaze me, and sunsets that relax me. I want a life filled with hugs, and I love you’s. Lightning bugs, and star filled nights. Full moons and hot summer nights. Colors of pumpkins and gourds, the smell of wood smoke on a Fall evening, and drives down country roads. Warm mittens, hot cocoa, and counting down until Christmas. I want meadows of wild flowers, birthday celebrations, and fresh cut grass.
I want dog licks, and furry pets. I want roosters crowing in the morning. I want bare feet on cold floors and shoulders wrapped in cozy blankets. I want the sound of thunder and the strikes of lightening. I want to be in awe of it all. I want music and song, and dancing and rainbows…and promises.
I want to read, and find out of the way bookstores. I want to find the best deal and write long letters. Sending cards for no reason, and cheer at ball games. Calligraphy and flowing words, journals, and great quotes.
Sunglasses and glitter. Country living, and city trips. Flowers that smell sweet, and a glass of iced tea.
My husband and sharing this life together. Commitment and desire. Words and touch. Smiles and sobs. Holding hands and holding hearts.
Motherhood and mystery. Babies with soft newborn skin smell and children that imagine. Teenagers with long legs and short legs and those that smell funny.The heart of the matter. The bottom line. The last chance. The endless possibilities and hopefulness.
The black. The white. The gray. Breath and dying. The questions and only some of the answers. The beauty and the ugly that create a canvas of this one fragile, and precious life.
It’s all good. This life…..
One day at a time. One moment at a time.
And I am truly and unapologetically thankful…for it all.
A gift. Every bit of it.
- 10 Pages of Hot Cocoa and Marshmallow Beauty Products (bellasugar.com)
- Another Favorite from Mary Oliver (mindfulnessandme.org)
- autumn leaves and Mary Oliver . . . of course (songsoflight.typepad.com)
- The Summer Day by Mary Oliver (kaylenrose.typepad.com)
- I’m in a bit of a Mary Oliver phase. (thescentofwater.typepad.com)
- My Favorite Thing About Christmas Morning (fabsugar.com)
- Wild Geese (thewondrousdharma.com)
- Andy Griffith, Folksy TV Sheriff From Mayberry, Dies at 86 – New York Times (nytimes.com)
- To Pay Attention (artistoftheeveryday.wordpress.com)