Joseph, as a teenager, was most favored by his father. His brothers resented him and were jealous of the place he held in his father’s heart. Joseph spoke of dreams that caused his siblings to seethe inside. Gnawing bitterness grew to rage. He was stripped of his robe, thrown in a dry cistern and later sold into slavery.
Joseph lived in a foreign country, away from family and friends. An official’s wife tried to seduce him, and then lied about it. Joseph did hard time in prison for crimes he didn’t commit. He was an interpreter of dreams, and yet his friends from prison turned their backs on him as soon as they had opportunity.
Life was rough for Joseph. Seemingly unfair. Had God forgotten him? Didn’t He care? Why was he here? He didn’t deserve this. He had done nothing wrong.
From a pit…to a promise.
God had not forsaken him.
Joseph went on to help his family during a severe famine. He took care of them. He loved them.
He forgave them. He was not bitter over his brothers treatment of him, because he was able to look back…
and see God’s plan. God’s provision.
19 But Joseph said to them (his brothers), “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. 21 So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. Genesis 50:19-21 NIV
How many times do I look at the circumstances in my own life and wonder where God is at?
When I’m in the midst of the plan…..too far in to go back, and not far enough out to see the end result…. it can be scary.
I need to remember to trust that God intends good for me…
Thanking Him today for all the things that are good in my life:
* warm sunshine on my face
* the scent of freshly washed linens
* bare feet
* checking off items on my to do list
* wrapping gifts for little ones
* finding a chore already done by my son
* crock pot dinner
* work completed
* new ideas
* a compliment from a friend
* when I get a glimpse of the plan
* knowing that God is good and He does love me
- Genesis 41:9-16 Day Dreaming (recoveredheart.wordpress.com)
- Had enough? HOLD ON! (angelonamission4god.wordpress.com)
- Fortunate to Forget: The Paradigm of Joseph (mannaforliving.wordpress.com)
- Predicting the Future (pregnantwithhope.wordpress.com)