“Love never gets old”
My son’s words echoed in my heart just as soon as they left his mouth. Wisdom from my boy-man.
At the time, we were goofing around……as we have done ever since he was born, almost 17 years ago.
Times of silliness in amongst the trials of this life.
And isn’t that true? And what we all long for?
Love. Simply, love. The need for love doesn’t get old, or dry up, or go away.
Longing to know that we are valued, important to another. It is necessary… for truly
Sifting through the day to day to find what is true. Real. Intangible.
Scripture tells us, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Corinthians 13:13 NIV
More than just an emotion that is fickle at best. More than slick advertisements, or self gratification.
Love is sacrifice.
It is in the giving away that love becomes real. It is in the laying down of personal gain, or self promotion that allows love to flourish.
Love is at it’s greatest when we are least.
* holding tight to newborn skin and feeling your heart living outside of your body
* holding a hand when your dear friend just received news that would rip her world wide open
* appreciating what was done for you, to allow you to be where you are right now
* wiping tears from the face of a child that is hurting and just holding him/her
* forgiving those words that were said in anger, and realizing that sin is real and we all are tainted
* starting over because we all need a second chance
* laying side by side, and feeling the warmth that two bodies create
* touching a face and memorizing the contours in your heart
* knowing another intimately, and choosing to love them anyway
* saying “I’m sorry” or “I was wrong”, even when it’s difficult. Words matter and water runs deep, and it is never necessary to drown in that pride.
* sacrificing time, for time is all we have…and it is valuable beyond measure
* setting aside the “I want” for the “what can I do for you?”
* being the servant and not always the master
* real…when one can look past the facade to the spirit inside
* reaching out and grasping for another that is stronger
Love is all these things…and more.