Out of sight. Out of mind.
This news story is tragic and it also scares me. This is a current story that is happening to a family in Canada, our neighbor’s to the north.
The parents are asking to take their terminally ill baby home, to die. They know he will eventually die…they are not fighting that. They just want him to die at home, and not in some sterile, impersonal hospital.
I have a real problem with this. There does not appear to be any compassion in this decision. The little boy is just another tough decision to make. The humanity is lost. Are they removing his tube, and letting him die because it is too expensive to keep him alive? Why does the government get to make that decision? Who are they, to play God?
(One of the family members)”I believe when the medical world doesn’t understand a situation, they just want to get rid of it,” Samar said. “That’s exactly what’s happening.”
- No death panels in Socialized Medicine? UPDATED! (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Family refuses to remove baby’s breathing tube (thestar.com)
- Couple’s appeal to bring dying baby home dismissed (canada.com)
- Father of dying baby says hospital treating him like a criminal (theprovince.com)
- Father of dying baby says hospital treating him like a criminal (canada.com)
- Dying Ont. baby’s fate up to Public Guardian (cbc.ca)
- The cost of keeping the terminally ill alive (kevinmd.com)