Today is my birthday. I was born in 1968.
1968. What?! How can that be? That was such a long time ago…..
In honor of my special day, I thought I’d write a list. (Doesn’t everyone do that, on their special day?)
Forty-four things I’ve learned about life and myself:
1. Days can seem long, but life is short.
2. Time doesn’t stop…it doesn’t even slow down.
3. Relationships are what is important. We are each made for relationship.
4. God is sovereign. He is in control. Always. Nothing surprises Him.
5. I don’t need to have all the answers.
6. Messy won’t kill you…it might aggravate, irritate and you might need to fumigate…but, it won’t kill you.
7. I’m glad I’ve journaled over the years.
8. It’s fun having friendships that have lasted the years.
9. I don’t need negative people in my life. Hurt people, hurt other people. I don’t need that.
10. Every person can reach their full potential.
11. Some of the happiest people I know, don’t know that they have “special needs“…they just enjoy life…and that makes me enjoy life.
12. Children are a gift from God Himself.
13. Being a mother is the closest I will ever come to understanding unconditional love.
14. Birthdays are fun. I like them. I feel special….and I get to eat ice cream.
15. I love ice cream. I refuse to feel guilty about it. Ice cream is good.
16. Dogs are the best pets ever. Loyal, furry friends.
17. I have learned to like cats. Even if I clean up puke nearly every other day. Darn them, for looking all fluffy and cute!
18. Chickens make me happy. Even if they try to peck at me.
19. Sheep freak me out. They look like aliens. I try not to hurt their feelings…they can’t help it that they look like aliens.
20. Llamas are my favorite “new” animal. I’d like some one day. Just to watch.It lowers my blood pressure to watch them graze.
21. The city life is great for convenience, but I truly love the peacefulness of living in the country. Open spaces and quiet places…..
22. I haven’t been to a high school reunion yet. I wish I could. I think it would be interesting.
24. Sleep is important, and cannot be overrated. The body needs it and it helps me to not be cranky and want to gag and tie up my family members.
25. I enjoy watching ID TV. I wonder about myself sometimes…..that I should enjoy shows where people are serial killers, identity thieves, housewives that have snapped, or jilted lovers gone wrong…terribly wrong. When our dogs dragged home some bones last year, I knew they could not be part of a deer carcass….they were probably the remnants of some poor soul that had been dumped on our road. This was completely fabricated on my part, but see how my mind works? I’m weird, I know.
26. I like to walk. Walking is therapeutic.
27. The scales at the doctor’s office are always wrong, and we all know it.
28. I am a bad gift wrapper, but I don’t care. It’s a gift that someone is getting…should they really care if it is duct taped together?
29. I love to read….but, never feel like I have enough time to sit down and read. When I have enough time to sit down and read, by eyesight will probably have gone by then. How unfair.
30. I could eat Mexican food every day. Hot stuff is good for you. Seriously. Of course, not if flames are shooting out your ears…….
31. Never stop learning. It makes you interesting and entertaining.
32. Remember the good things.
33. Know that bad times will pass. They always do. It won’t be that way forever.
34. A truly strong person is one who can be gentle.
35. Laugh. Laugh a lot. Laugh at yourself.
36. Try to stay organized. It helps life to run a little more smoothly. Do the best you can.
37. I’m not in control of life….even though I’d like to think I am.
38. Tell people that you love, that you love them. Say it over and over again. You need to say it. They need to hear it.
39. Slow down. What is the rush, really? What are you rushing to? Or from? There are 24 hrs. in the day for each of us.
40. With age comes wisdom.
41. Beauty is fleeting, but a winning smile and sparkling personality go a long way to making anyone look good, no matter the age.
42. Music speaks to the soul.
43. Flip flops and worn T-shirts are the best summer gear.
44. God is good. All the time.